1. Thanks to Eliel, I'm going to tonight's Jets/Giants pre-season game! Guess that means I really can't back out of his feature at 13 on Monday, hunh? ;-)
2. The football season couldn't have been better timed, what with the Mets doing their best impersonation of Justin Guarini's entertainment "career." Please, please, please give me hope for 2005 by firing Art Howe now and giving Don Baylor the job before someone else snatches him up in the off-season!
3. I'm in four fantasy football leagues this year, two on Fanball.com's Exit42 and two on Yahoo! Sports. My primary league, the highly competitive GameSmack League (GSL) enters it's 3rd season and we just completed our [re]draft earlier today. My team, the Starving Artists, looks competitive, if not quite awe-inspiring:
QB Trent GreenAfter two hard-luck, sub-.500 seasons, I'm ready to make a run for the playoffs with this team.
QB Joey Harrington
RB Travis Henry
RB Moe Williams
RB Kevan Barlow
RB Antowain Smith
RB James Jackson
RB Mewelde Moore(r)
WR Santana Moss
WR Javon Walker
WR Peerless Price
WR Marc Boerigter
WR Jerry Rice
TE L.J. Smith
PK Jay Feely
4. My fun league, though no less competitive, is the SLAM THIS! League on Yahoo! Sports. A mix of random poets from around the country and a couple on non-poet friends makes for some of the funniest commentary and smack talk you'll ever see. I don't even remember who wins the damn thing year-to-year, but I wouldn't skip it for anything. We do an auto-draft, aka potluck, next week and I'm making a pre-season guarantee that my team, He Hate Me, shall reign supreme!
5. One could argue that Ricky Williams choosing to retire, travel the world and smoke weed at his leisure is equally heroic as Pat Tillman's passing up the big bucks to die for [insert preferred "cause" here] in Afghanistan. They both followed their hearts over their wallets.
6. Welcome to New York, Quincy Carter. Please don't accept any guided tour offers from the following: Lawrence Taylor, Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Shane Spencer or Joe Namath.
7. Bold pre-season prediction: the NY Jets will go 11-5 this season, win the AFC East, and ultimately lose to the Kansas City Chiefs in the Conference Championship game. The Chiefs will lose to the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, 27-24.