Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Life of a Salesman and other stuff

Heading up to Boston tomorrow (8am flight!) for five meetings in two days, pitching the two magazines that really attracted me to the position in the first place. (There's five I sell for altogether, but three of them are pretty well established and don't have as much new ground to break.) Two existing clients, one newish client (my first sale) and two brand-spanking new ones. If I can pull some solid business from at least two of them for 2007, it will be a successful trip, worth the stress and inconvenience being away from home during the week causes.

Did I mention the 8am flight? How about not being able to check in to my hotel before my first appointment, so being fully suited up for my 6am car service?

Getting the appointments was tough thanks to conflicting schedules and the distances between most of my prospects up there, and getting anyone out for dinner proved impossible. Only one of my appointments is actually in Boston, the rest in the suburbs as far away as 30 miles west. I suspect Jet Blue, Hertz, NeverLost and I are going to become well acquainted over the next several months. I'm really tempted to try and score a Mustang, and if someone rented Mini Coopers, I'd be all over that!

In other life news, Monday before last I randomly stopped in at 13 after a couple of drinks with the guys from PCS and had a blast, ending up hosting the second half of the open mic, covering Roger's "Blue Sex Prodigy" and kicking an oldie of my own, "Running Bases", Taylor Mali-style, reading it off of my Blackberry. It's a weird feeling, missing something but knowing you can never really go back to it; sort of like a recovering alcoholic who sneaks a sip now and then.

My new favorite song:



Check them out on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/blueoctober

1 comment:

nina said...

boy do i know what you mean. such a paradox to simultaneously love my new life and yet miss my old life.