Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Thought for the day:

Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change.
-Frank Lloyd Wright
I have something of a reputation for being both stubborn and contentious.

While it's true that I will debate most anything with a passion - no matter how right or wrong I may be - just for the hell of it, I will only fight for the things I truly believe in. Contrary to popular belief, however, it is not impossible to change my mind on something I believe in, but it is most certainly a difficult, sometimes daunting task.

Rightfully so, I think.

If you truly believe in something, I believe you should be willing to fight for it. I would expect no less from anyone else and have no respect for anything less.

This isn't because I don't respect other people's opinions or think that I know everything or that I'm always right. It's because I hate wishy-washiness. I hate passive-aggressiveness. I hate indecision.

You may have to take me to the mat to get me on your side but, if you succeed, it will be because your own passion was strong enough to make me consider your take on things. Accomplish that and you not only win my respect, you gain a tenacious ally who will go to the mat for you.

Otherwise, if you come at me with faulty logic or disingenuous arguments, I will eat you alive. As my toughest nemesis once said about himself, "I am formidable and relentless."

Now THAT was some arrogant shit! And words to live by.

PS: The guestbook is working again.

No comments: