Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Fun with form, thanks to Jeff Knight.

Sonnet for Salomé

I said to you then that “you complete me.”
Though cliché, and stolen from a movie
it nevertheless, remains true today.
In the beginning, I was skeptical
convinced there were hooks attached to strings and
barbed wire fences on the horizon.
As you sleep, I look for signs of regret
and find only lust and satisfaction.

Afterwards, your scent remains in my ear
reverberating through fingers and palms
a pulsing freestyle beat that curls my tongue.
I lick my lips as a genuflection –
you linger sweetly like ripe mango juice
and I savor every thick, sticky drop.
NOTE: A real sonnet is a fourteen-line poem, either eight lines (octave) and six lines (sextet) or three quatrains of four lines and an ending couplet. Often attributed to Petrarch, the form - keeping the basic fourteen lines - was modified by such poets as Spenser, Shakespeare, and Milton.

No comments: