Thursday, August 4, 2005

Story Ideas

Somewhat randomly, I've been asked to contribute a script to an anthology comic book by this guy, Erech Overaker, whom I know electronically via CBC and Buzzscope. He's looking for "...strictly slice of life, everyday kinda stuff, humorous dramatic ambient whatever. I want to show the other side of comics, you know?"

All things considered, it's a rather flattering request and I'm tempted to take him up on it, though I've never really given any serious thought to writing something for comics. I've joked about it, sure, but it's a tough form that I've come to have a much greater appreciation for since I started reading them again a couple of years back, and I have no illusions about being any good at it on the first pass. It's an intriguing challenge, though, especially when you think about the old "those who can, do; those who can't, review" saying.

Of course, the first hurdle is an idea, something that can work within 3-5 pages and offers some visual punch to keep from being the kind of navel-gazing indie crap I can't stand. It's kind of like going from judging slams for a couple of years to getting on stage yourself...intimidating, to say the least.

So, like NaNoWriMo last year, I turn to you, dear readers - all 5 or 6 of you still around! - for story ideas. What kind of story would make you curious enough to pick up a comic book? And no zombie tales this time! (Though I still want to revisit that particular exercise.)

No comments: