Wednesday, January 7, 2004

Got this off of nihilistic kid's LJ friends list:

It's been my experience that everyone does something that, to them, is meditation. You know, something that centers them, that makes them focus on nothing in particular - kina like Pirsig's Motorcyle Maintenence or that crazy guy in the corner that smells bad and his babbling to himself about conspiracy theory. One hopes it's not quite the same as the latter, but you get the point.

My question, then, is what is it you do? What brings your life into focus, or lets you just sort of center yourself?
For me, there's a couple of things. Listening to music is definitely tops on the list. My moods are easily enhanced and influenced by music. If I'm feeling melancholy, there's nothing better than the Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions. For introspection, I turn to Dave Matthews' Crash. Sentimental? Jodeci or New Edition; all of the slow stuff like Good Luv or Home Again. I got through the end of 2002 thanks to endless replaying of Nelly Furtado's Whoa, Nelly! and Pink's Missundaztood.

Wandering the city aimlessly is the other. Clears my head like nothing else.

No comments: